Today I’ll show you my recipe for a delicious vegan Raffaelo coconut almond cake with a light almond biscuit bottom. Fine almond biscuit, coconut cream, coconut flakes and almond slivers. It tastes just like the Raffaelo sweets that I used to love so much. And this cake is not only without chocolate, but also without any animal ingredients.
I used almond flour and coconut flavored plant based milk for the fluffy biscuit bottom. As a result, the cake not only gets extra-delicate, but also has the Raffaello-typical coconut almond note. The cream of coconut milk and vegan whipped cream that tops the cake is not too sweet and tastes of coconut.
I got the recipe for this delicious cake from the vegan lifestyle magazine VeganBlatt. I modified the recipe a bit because I did not have all the ingredients at home. And since the cake turned out fantastic, I thought I might as well share it with you guys.
Raffaello Cake – Vegan Version
As an egg replacement, I use 1 tablespoon of soda mixed with 1 tablespoon of vinegar. This made the almond biscuit bottom nice and fluffy. As a substitute for milk, I choose coconut drink. You know: the coconut-based milk that is found next to soy milk and almond milk in the supermarket. Of course, if you do not find any coconut drink, you can also take any another plant based milk. Almond milk would fit best in my opinion.
I baked this Raffaelo coconut almond cake for the first time at Christmas, because this snow-white dessert visually fit perfectly with the Christmas decoration on the dinner table. As a second cake I had baked this fabulous chocolate cake with pomegranate. The two cakes were the highlight of our vegan Christmas feast. Even my relatives, who are not really into veganism, were impressed by this gorgeous Raffaello cake. My uncle even ate 2 pieces, even though we already had a 3-course menu before.
But this cake is not only for Christmas but also perfect for summer, because it tastes so refreshing. It can also be prepared the day before and stored in the fridge overnight, so it is ice-cold and the coconut cream is firm.
Raffaelo Coconut Almond Cake
For the almond biscuit
- 200 g spelt flour
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp soda
- 150 ml almond milk
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
For the coconut cream
- 400 ml coconut milk high fat version
- 3 tsp agar agar
- 1 pack vegan whipping cream
- 1 sachet whipping cream stiffener
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 25 g coconut chips
- 25 g chopped almonds
- For the dough, mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then add the almond milk and the vinegar. Kneat into a smooth dough with a hand mixer.
- Pour the dough into a greased springform pan and bake at 180°C (360°F) for approx. 25min. Make a chopstick test before taking it out. Stick the chopstick into the dough. If the dough does not stick to the stick, the cake base is ready. Allow the cake base to cool inside the springform.
- For the cream, put the coconut milk in a saucepan. Stir in agar agar and 2 tablespoons of sugar. Bring to a boil while stirring. Then let the mixture cool and stir while cooling.
- In the meantime, pour the vegan whipped cream into a bowl. Add 1-2 tbsp sugar and cream stabilizer and mix until the cream is stiff.
- When the coconut milk is lukewarm, carefully stir in the wipped cream. Then pour the coconut cream onto the cake base in the springform pan. Put the cake into the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to let the coconutcream stiffen.
- Carefully remove the cake from the springform. Decorate with coconut flakes and chopped almonds and enjoy.
If you liked this recipe for Raffaelo Cake you may also like one of these other cake and sweets recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.