English baked beans are classic for breakfast all over the world. You will find them at every intercontinental breakfast buffet. Served with homemade seitan sausages wrapped in vegan bacon, these baked beans are a perfect start for a day.
The original recipe for baked beans is not difficult, but it takes a lot of time. The original recipe calls for dried white beans, which you have to soak overnight and then cook in the oven for over 4 hours. This is definitely too much effort for a breakfast, as I hate to wait so long for my meal.
That’s why I created this quick and easy version of the English baked beans recipe. The baked beans and the homemade seitan sausages can be thrown together in under one hour and the total worktime is only 15 minutes.
To make it so quick, I use canned beans instead of dried beans. And instead of stewing the beans in an oven for hours, I prepare them in a pot. They taste fantastic nevertheless.
In the original recipe bacon is also used quite often. So that our baked beans still have a hearty aroma, we use grilled peppers and smoked paprika powder and Worchestershire sauce. These ingredients give the beans a deep, slightly smoky flavour and make this dish a real treat.
English Baked Beans with Seitan Sausages
For the beans:
- 1 onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can cannellini beans alternatively other light beans (about 400 g per can)
- 1 can kidney beans alternatively other dark beans (at about 400 g per can)
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (about 425 g per can)
- 1 glass grilled peppers alternatively fresh red peppers
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce alternatively Maggi
For the sausages
- 60 g seitan flour (gluten flour)
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp sieved tomatoes alternatively tomato sauce
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 60 ml water
To be served with
- 1/2 good farmhouse bread
- First mix all the dry ingredients for the sausage in a large bowls. Then add the liquid components and knead until a firm dough ball is formed. If the dough is too moist or sticky, add some Seitan Fix.
- Divide the dough into several pieces and roll out to sausages. Wrap the sausages in cling film or aluminum foil and twist the ends tightly.
- Cover the bottom of a pot with water and insert a steamer. Put the sausages in the steamer and steam for 40 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the baked beans. To do this, cut the onion into fine cubes. Sweat in a large saucepan with a little oil, stirring constantly. Add pressed garlic.
- When the onions are brown, deglaze with balsamico and let simmer for a minute. Then add the whole bean and tomato cans to the pot. Cut the grilled peppers into thin strips and add to them to the beans.
- Season with smoked paprika and a dash of Worcester sauce and season with salt and pepper. Boil the beans for 20-30 minutes until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- When the sausages are ready, roast them in some oil for a couple of minutes until they are brown. Serve with the baked beans and a good bread.
If you liked this recipe for English Baked Beans you may also like one of these other British recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.