In this recipe I show you how to make a hearty and tasty french onion tart, a “Tarte à l’Oignon”. That is a French tart made from onions.
The Tarte à l’Oignon is a typical dish from Provence. But nowadays you can find it in different variants all over the south of France. This french onion tart is really quick, requires only a few ingredients and still tastes absolutely amazing.
It is a simple dish, as typical for the Provence. Because it is prepared with what is left in the garden during the summer: onions. In this recipe I mixed red and yellow onion, to give the tart its nice color. But you could also use just one type of onion.
The preparation is really very easy. Just take a quiche baking mould and line it with puff pastry. By the way, vegan puff pastry is available in every supermarket. Spread the puff pastry with vegan crème fraîche; you can also buy this in any larger supermarket. Then cover the tart with fried onions. After only 20 to 25 minutes baking time you can take a steaming fresh Tarte a l’Onion out of the oven.
In France the Tarte à l’Oignon is often garnished with olives or anchovies. But this vegan version of the Southern French classic does not need either. And it will be much sought after by your guests!
French Onion Tart – Tarte à l’Oignon
- 4 red onions about 200 g
- 2 white onions about 100 g
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp marjoram
- 1 tsp sweet paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 fresh puff pastry refrigerated shelf, 275 g
- 3 tbsp vegan crème fraîche alternatively vegan quark or yoghurt
- 2 tbsp agave syrup
- Peel onions and cut them into thin slices. Heat olive oil in a pan. Season the onions with salt and fry them in a pan over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add thyme, marjoram, paprika and cayenne pepper and season with pepper.
- Place the roll of fresh puff pastry in a tart form. Alternatively, cake springform pan or a baking sheet lined with baking paper will also do. Pierce the puff pastry with a fork several times.
- Season the crème fraîche with salt and pepper. Spread on the pastry leaving the rim free.
- Spread onions onto the crème fraîche and drizzle with agave syrup.
- Bake at 220°C for 20-25 minutes.
If you liked this recipe for French Tarte a l‘Onion you may also like one of these other European recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.