You want the full taste of Mexican food, but you don’t want to stand in the kitchen for hours? Then this Mexican bowl is just right for you! No filling, no folding – in this recipe the Mexican delicacies are placed directly into a bowl. This beautifully arranged bowl is a colorful mixture full of Mexican flavors. Spicy and juicy soy chunks meet crispy tortilla chips, hearty kidney beans, crunchy corn, creamy avocado and fresh salad. The whole thing is topped off with typical Mexican salsa sauce and creamy crème fraiche. And best of all, this recipe can be cooked in less than 20 minutes and it still tastes delicious.
Besides, this is a great recipe to use up leftovers. You don’t have to use the exact ingredients of the recipe. You can mix just about any vegetable into your bowl. Just decide what ingredients you want to add to the mix: Beans, peppers, corn, avocado, salad, tomatoes, spinach, cabbage, broccoli, tofu… it’s all up to you. If you want to make the recipe a little healthier, you can use brown rice or quinoa instead of tortilla chips.
If the fiery salsa sauce is too spicy for you, you can simply replace it with guacamole. A fresh vegan yogurt dip is also a perfect addition to this meal. If you like, you can to round off the bowl with coriander and fresh limes.
Where does the bowl trend come from?
The trend to prepare dishes in a bowl comes from America and has become more and more popular in recent years. No wonder! To serve all your favorite ingredients in a bowl not only looks great, but can also lead to a more conscious and healthier diet. Because the point behind the bowl trend is to fill the bowl with all the important nutrients. And this colorful Mexican bowl does just that.
Are you hungry already? Then it’s time to fetch your bowl. Be inspired by this recipe and fill your bowl with the taste of Mexico!
- 50 g dried soy chunks
- 2 tsp vegetable broth* powder
- ½ pack tortilla chips
- 1 can corn
- ½ can kidney beans
- ½ red pepper
- 100 g mushrooms
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 avocado
- ¼ cucumber
- 50 g iceberg lettuce
- 1 red onion
- 1 spring onion
- 2 tbsp fried onions optional
- 1/2 cup vegan crème fraîche alternatively soy yoghurt
- ½ bottle salsa sauce
- Place the dry soy chunks in a bowl with vegetable stock powder and pour boiling water over them. Cover with a board or plate and leave to soak for 15 minutes.
- Cut the bell pepper, mushrooms, avocado, cucumber and iceberg lettuce into bite-sized pieces. Cut onion and spring onion into rings.
- Fry the onion in a pan with a little oil until it is translucent. Add the soy chunks, paprika and mushrooms and sauté briefly. Then add the corn and kidney beans and let everything heat up.
- Add the salsa sauce to the pan and stir well.
- Arrange the tortilla chips, the salad, the cucumber and the avocado next to each other in a large bowl. Place a generous dash of vegan crème fraiche on top of the tortilla chips. Add the warm ingredients from the pan and arrange nicely. Sprinkle with spring onions and fried onions and serve.
If you liked this recipe for Mexican Bowl you may also like one of these other Mexican recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.