This Mediterranean and very hearty vegan mushroom ragout captivates your taste buds with spicy mushrooms, lots of vegetables and the delicious aromas of thyme, oregano and bay leaves. This ragout is full of hearty umami flavour and goes perfectly with fresh pasta.
The inspiration for this dish comes from Tim Mälzer’s cookbook Greenbox. This is a really great vegetarian cookbook with many delicious vegan dishes and vegetarian ones that can easily be veganized. I’ve had the book for a few years now and always like to browse it and try out new recipes. Therefore for the following recipe I took Tim Mälzer’s Ragu “Especial” and refined it according to my taste.
By the way: The term ragout comes from the 17th century and was derived from the French word ragoût. Then as now dishes made from stewed cubic pieces of meat, poultry, game or vegetables in a piquant, hearty, often creamy sauce were called Ragout. And that’s exactly what our mushroom ragout is all about: a hearty and creamy dish full of great taste.
Our vegan mushroom ragout offers a welcome alternation to the well-known tomato sauce and is full of healthy ingredients and nutrients. I served it with delicious macaroni and homemade vegan parmesan. Delicious pasta can be so easy!
Mushroom ragout with macaroni
- 250 g Macaroni or other pasta
- 250 g mixed mushrooms e.g. champignon, shiitake or oyster mushrooms
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 50 ml white wine
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon vegetable broth*
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- cayenne pepper
- 50 g vegan parmesan cheese
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms in a food processor. Spread out on a plate and leave to darken in the air for 30 minutes. This allows the mushrooms to ferment easily and become even more aromatic.
- In the meantime, put the carrot, celery, onion and garlic in the food processor and chop finely.
- Put the vegetables together with the mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan and fry until hot. After about 5 minutes, stir in the tomato paste and sauté briefly. Deglaze with white wine and bring to the boil. Add the canned tomatoes. Fill the tin up to half with water and add this as well.
- Add the spices, stir well and let the ragout simmer with an open lid for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the pasta in plenty of boiling salted water according to the package instructions. Drain the pasta and mix with the ragout. Serve sprinkled with vegan parmesan.
If you liked this recipe for mushroom ragout you may also like one of these other italian recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.