What a blaze of colour on the plate! Sticky Rice with mango is a must for every Thai vacationer. We’ll tell you how to make Thailand’s most popular dessert at home. That’s how you get your vacation vibes back!
Georg and I were able to try many incredibly delicious dishes during our vacation in Thailand in 2019. But nothing knocked me down like “Sticky Rice with mango”. I love the taste of coconut and this wonderful blend of sweet and salty paired with the fruity taste of mango was simply awesome! And the best part was, the dish is still vegan, too. This makes it the perfect street food for all occasions.
Sticky Rice contains a lot of starch. This makes it particularly “sticky”. In Thailand it is used in both sweet and hearty dishes. In the sweet variant it is usually served with a creamy sweet coconut sauce and especially ripe mangos or bananas. Today I show you a special edition with black or purple Sticky Rice, which we got to know in the cooking course of Mai Kaidee in Thailand. We serve the whole thing with crunchy fresh fruits.
You can get Sticky Rice at the Asian market or online. If you don’t have an Asia market nearby, you can also use normal short grain rice instead of sticky rice.
The special feature of Sticky Rice is that it is not boiled in water like commercial rice, but steamed in a pressure cooker. Steaming ensures that the rice grains adhere completely to each other.
Sticky Rice with Mango and Fresh Fruit
- 1 cup black sticky rice alternatively white sticky rice or short-grain rice
- 500 ml coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 ripe mango
- 1 banana
- 1 kiwi
- 2 Tbsp blueberries
- Soak the rice in water overnight.
- Put the rice in a bamboo basket or in a steamer. If the holes in the basket are to big, line the basket with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels. Steam for 20-30 minutes until the rice is soft.
- Mix coconut milk, sugar and salt in a wok or pot and bring to a boil. Pour half of the coconut milk in a cup and set aside. Then add the cooked sticky rice to the wok and simmer for 2 minutes until the mixture thickens.
- Peel and dice the mango. Peel and slice the kiwi and banana. Wash the blueberries.
- Put the rice in a bowl and pour over the rest of the coconut milk. Garnish with fruits and berries.
If you liked this recipe for Thai Sticky Rice with Mango you may also like one of these other Thai recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.