Sushi meets burrito: Fusion cuisine is very much in vogue right now. We tried the new food trend for the first time in Las Vegas and were thrilled! Sushi burritos are not only healthy and variable, but also super delicious. With this recipe you can easily make this unusual fusion food yourself.
Japanese Sushi has been established in Germany for many years. The Japanese rolls inspire with their delicious sticky rice and fresh ingredients. And Mexican burritos filled with crunchy vegetables have also become an integral part of our menus. How nice that these two delicacies are now joining forces. And the preparation of the half sushi, half burrito roll is a lot of fun and even easier than the sushi or burrito.
We have filled our delicious Sushi burritos with spicy tofu, soft sushi rice and our favourite Mexican ingredients. We have wrapped the burrito in nori seaweed, but a tortilla flat bread is also suitable and underlines the fusion aspect even more.
Sushi burritos – versatile and sophisticated
Besides the large selection of ingredients you can fill your sushi burritos with, the meal is also suitable for many occasions. You can prepare it perfectly and then take it with you as a snack on the road or as lunch for work. Sushi burritos also look great on the party buffet – with different fillings you can create a sophisticated finger food that will delight your guests.
What else tastes good in a Sushi Burrito?
The great thing about the delicious Sushi burritos is that they can easily be varied. You can let off steam completely. Instead of sushi rice you can choose wholemeal rice or basmati rice. Instead of tofu you can choose tempeh, seitan or soya hack. You can also experiment with vegetables: Aubergine, oyster mushrooms, fresh carrots, red cabbage, spring onions, ginger, peppers or various kinds of salad. For the sauce you can also use guacamole, vegan mayo or other homemade dips. Instead of nori seaweed you can wrap the burritos with tortilla flat bread. As you can see, there is a big choice. So just try yourself and share your Sushi burritos with us!
- 1 cup sushi rice*
- 1,3 cups water
- 1 tbsp salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp rice vinegar* alternatively other vinegar
- 4 nori leaves
- ½ block tofu*
- ½ mango
- ½ red pepper
- ½ cucumber
- ½ head romaine lettuce
- 1 avocado
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise alternatively vegan cream cheese
- ¼ bunch cilantro
- Wash the sushi rice in a sieve until the water no longer becomes milky. Per cup of rice, put 1.3 cups of water in a pot and bring to the boil for 3 minutes together with the rice. Then turn the heat down to the lowest setting and simmer the rice for 20 minutes with the lid closed. Then remove the pot from the heat, remove the lid and let the rice simmer for another 20 minutes, covered with a clean kitchen towel.
- Mix vinegar, sugar and salt together and add to the rice. Put the rice aside and let it cool down, covered with a cloth.
- Squeeze the tofu carefully and cut it into thin sticks. Fry in hot oil until the tofu is brown and crispy on all sides.
- Peel the mango, clean the bell pepper and cucumber and cut everything into long strips. Wash the salad and cut into strips. Halve the avocado, remove the core and carefully remove the flesh with a spoon. Then cut the avocado into thin sticks.
- Wash the coriander leaves, shake dry and pluck.
- Place one nori leaf each on a bamboo mat. Spread the rice thinly on the lower half of the leaf. Spread some mayonnaise on the rice. Now place all ingredients of the filling in a horizontal line evenly distributed on the rice.
- Moisten the end of the seaweed leaf with a little water. Roll up the sushi burrito firmly with the help of the bamboo mat, pressing the nori leaf lightly. Prepare the remaining burritos in the same way. Cut in the middle and serve.
- For the outer shell: Nori seaweed or tortilla patties
- As sauce: Mayonnaise, cream cheese, wasabi, salsa sauce or guacamole
- As protein: Tofu, seitan, soya beans, beans, tempeh
- As filling: Cucumber, carrot, pepper, avocado, mango, mushrooms, salad, red cabbage
- As herbs: Coriander, parsley, mint
- As extra: Peanuts, sprouts, seeds
If you liked this recipe for Sushi Burrito you may also like one of these other Fusion recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.