Today I want to present you a real feel-good, soul food dish: crispy baked vegan chicken wings made of cauliflower. Fresh from the oven with a smoky BBQ sauce. Super delicious, vegan and totally simple.
Cauliflower chickenwings are always a win! They are incredibly delicious. Fortunately, they are also much healthier than real chickenwings and above all completely free of animal suffering.
Our vegan chickenwings make a great snack or appetizer. If you combine them with rice or chips, a colorful salad and a delicious dip, you can also serve them as a hearty and satisfying main course.
Vegan Chicken Wings are Super Easy to Prepare
The cauliflower is first cut into florets. Then the florets are dunked in a liquid dough made of flour, plant milk and spices. It is important that you use unsweetened plant milk. Because nobody wants sweet chicken wings.
The cauliflower florets are then tossed in Panko breadcrumbs. Panko flour makes the cauliflower wings much crispier. Panko is a coarse flour made from breadcrumbs and is used often in Japanese cuisine. It is coarser and fluffier than traditional breadcrumbs. When baking or deep-frying, it becomes much crispier than conventional breadcrumbs. Panko breadcrumbs can be found in every larger supermarket next to the normal breadcrumbs. You can also buy it cheap in the Asian market.
After breading, the vegan chicken wings are distributed on a baking tray and put in the oven. The cauliflower florets should not lie on top of each other so that they can become crispy on all sides. Better use two baking trays instead of placing the florets too close together. If you are a happy owner of a hot air fryer you can use it instead of the oven. The vegan chicken wings become extra crispy in an air fryer.
After some minutes, take the vegan Chickenwings out of the oven and spread them with BBQ sauce. Then put them back in and bake them until they are brown and crisp.
Vegan chicken wings can be served and enjoyed with a dip of your choice, such as BBQ sauce, ranch sauce, yoghurt sauce or aioli.
I hope you enjoy the vegan Chickenwings as much as we do!
Vegan cauliflower chicken wings
- 1 head cauliflower
- 100 g wheat flour
- 180 ml unsweetened almond milk alternatively other plant milk
- 60 ml water
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 100 g Panko flour
- 250 ml BBQ sauce
- 1 tsp olive oil
- Carefully cut the cauliflower into medium sized florets.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, almond or soy milk, water, garlic and paprika powder, salt and pepper.
- Dip the cauliflower florets into the flour mixture so that they are completely covered.
- Turn in the Panko flour so that the cauliflower florets are evenly covered on all sides.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper and spread the cauliflower wings evenly over it. Do not lay them on top of each other. Bake at 180 °C for 25 minutes.
- Mix the BBQ sauce with a tablespoon of olive oil and spread evenly over the baked cauliflower florets.
- Place the vegan Chickenwings back on the baking tray and bake again for 20 minutes at 180°C.
If you liked this recipe for vegan chickenwings you may also like one of these other recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
More delicious recipes from all over the world can be found in our recipe overview.