Today I will show you a favourite recipe of mine 🙂 This time it‘s a delicious falafel bowl with crunchy vegetables, fresh herbs, creamy hummus, and crispy falafels. Falafels originally come from the Orient and are fried balls of pureed chickpeas and herbs. I have long been a fan of these delicious balls. And this falafel bowl is an oriental dream food in a bowl!
This falafel bowl is a great dish on warm days, because it is healthy, vegan, high in protein, spicy and super easy to prepare. This colourful bowl contains everything you need. From vitamins, carbohydrates and proteins to healthy fats. And in the most delicious form of all.
The Falafel Bowl is also a great idea for a homemade dinner with friends. Just put all the ingredients on the table and everyone can create their own individual bowl.
Variations of the Falafel-Bowl
You can of course adapt the Falafel-Bowl to your own taste. For example, couscous or baked sweet potato as a base tastes great. You can also try different vegetables. Try fresh spinach, red onions, tomatoes, broccoli or cauliflower. If you don’t like hummus, use tzatsiki for the sauce. As topping you can use fresh herbs like coriander, sprouts or chopped seeds or nuts. Or sprinkle a few splashes of delicious pomegranate syrup on everything at the end. There are no limits to your creativity. Just make the perfect mix of healthy treats.
Buy falafel or make it yourself?
Of course I am definitely for do-it-yourself, if you have the time. You can find my recipe for Falafel here. If you use canned chickpeas, it’ll go really fast. But sometimes you just don’t have time for it, I know it all too well. Then you can of course use ready-made falafel. Meanwhile there is a quite good selection in the supermarket. Alternatively you can also use a dry Falafel mixture. I have already tried some of them and was positively surprised how good they taste. You can get them mostly in the organic food section in the supermarket or in drugstores.
By the way, you can enjoy this dish either as a bowl as shown in the picture or as a delicious wrap by wrapping all ingredients in a tortilla-wrap.
- 8-10 Falafel homemade or bought
- 100 g red cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 4 radishes
- ½ red bell pepper
- ½ yellow bell pepper
- ½ cucumber
- 100 g lettuce
- ½ bunch fresh mint
- ½ bunch fresh parsley
- 2 Arabic flatbreads from the oriental supermarket
For the Hummus:
- ½ can (á 400g) chickpeas including water
- ½ lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 tbsp Tahini (Sesame paste)
- salt and pepper
- You can either make your own falafel according to this recipe, use a ready-made dry mixture or pre-cooked falafel. These then only have to be prepared or heated according to the package instructions.
- Finely grate red cabbage, carrot and radish. Cut the paprika into strips and the cucumber into slices.
- Chop the salad and pluck the fresh herbs.
- For the hummus, press out the lemon-juice and put it together with the chickpeas, the water from the can and all the other ingredients into a blender. Blender until you get a fine paste.
- Arrange the vegetables with the warm falafels and the hummus in a bowl and sprinkle with fresh herbs.
If you liked this recipe for falafel bowl, you might also like one of these other Arabic recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.