Today I will present you a quick and easy recipe with my favourite legume – the chickpea. It contains fennel, apricots and oranges and tastes wonderfully fruity and spicy. This chickpea fennel salad is rich in vitamins and minerals and is very easy to prepare.
This salad tastes like a pinch of winter and a dash of summer. The anise-like taste of fennel reminds me of Christmas spices and the oranges and dressing taste beautifully fruity and light, like in summer. Opposites go well together after all.
Fennel is a vegetable, which I like very much because of its dominant anise taste, but which is really difficult to combine. By vigorous kneading the fennel and letting it steep, the fennel loses some of its intense taste. This leaves the remaining ingredients of this chickpea fennel salad a little more room to develop their flavours.
Chick peas provide protein
Chickpeas give this salad an extra boost in protein. Therefore you can also serve it as a light main course. We’ve made it easy for ourselves and used already cooked chickpeas out of a Fan. But of course it’s better to cook the chickpeas yourself – soak them overnight in plenty of water and a pinch of baking soda. But the canned chickpeas are usually of good quality and are completely sufficient for this recipe.
By the way, chickpeas originally come from the Middle East, probably Anatolia or Mesopotamia. They have been part of our diet for many thousands of years. They contain a lot of protein and the carbohydrates contained in them are slowly processed by the body. That means the blood sugar level rise slowly.
This Chickpea Fennel Salad is a Perfect Party Salad
The salad is easy to prepare and can be kept in the fridge for several days. So this chickpea fennel salad is perfect for the next party buffet. Ist is much Bretter Theo to bring another boring pasta salad.
I got this recipe from the great vegetarian cookbook “Greenbook” by Tim Mälzer. This book contains a lot of tasty vegan recipes and those that can easily be veganized. The original recipe was vegetarian, but I slightly modified it to be vegan now.
Chickpea Fennel Salad
- 2 fennel tubers
- 8 apricots
- 2 oranges
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- 1 can chickpeas a 400g
- 1 red onion
- chili flakes
- For the dressing, take half of the oranges and squeeze out the juice. Mix the orange juice with the lemon juice, mustard, olive oil and agave syrup until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Peel the onion, cut into fine rings and stir into the dressing.
- Halve the fennel tubers and cut out the hard stalk. Then slice into fine strips.
- Cut the apricots into slices. Peel the other half of the oranges with a knife so that the white is completely gone. Then cut the orange into fillets.
- Rinse the chickpeas in a sieve under cold water and drain.
- Mix the chickpeas, fennel, apricot slices and orange fillets with the vinaigrette. Serve sprinkled with chilli flakes according to taste.
If you liked this recipe for Chickpea Fennel Salad you may also like one of these other salad recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.