Giant mushroom instead of meat patty. There are more and more vegan burger variations and this one is especially tasty: In our recipe for Portobello burgers we combine the mushrooms Mediterranean style with homemade hummus, dried tomatoes and rocket! This Portobello burger is a must try!
With this vegan Portobello burger you can delight your eyes, taste buds and palate. Because the Portobello burger is drippy and juicy. Homemade hummus, sun-dried tomatoes, a few leaves of rocket and some pomegranate syrup make this burger perfect. Be sure to roast the burger buns briefly in the oven or on the grill, this makes a huge difference in structure and taste.
Portobellos are giant mushrooms, whose oversized mushroom heads are just perfect as burger patties. This is because they have a delicious fleshy consistency and taste heartily and aromatic. This makes them the perfect alternative to meat patties and they taste great even for die-hard burger fans.
Preparing the Portobello Burger
The Portobello mushrooms are spread with a delicious herb-oil mixture and then fried in a pan or grilled. This turns them into a gigantic and delicous burger patty.
The burger buns are generously spread with creamy hummus. You can make it yourself in no time with a blender or blender stick. All you need is a tin of chickpeas, tahina (sesame paste), garlic and a few spices.
Afterwards, the Portobello burger is topped with red onion, dried tomatoes, cucumber and rocket and rounded off with a few dashes of pomegranate syrup. With its sweet and sour taste, the syrup goes perfectly with the Portobello burger.
Alternative to Portobello Mushrooms
I know Portobello mushrooms are really hard to come by sometimes. The giant mushrooms are only available in the supermarket every now and then. At a farmers’ market you might be lucky. If you can’t find any Portobello mushrooms, you can just use regular champignon mushrooms. Just use several smaller mushrooms, which you put next to each other on the burger. This is no longer a burger patty, but the taste is not affected.
And now we wish you a lot of fun trying it out. If you like burgers as much as we do, try our pumpkin-chickpea burger with lamb’s lettuce or our pulled jackfruit burger. And if you want to try something really crazy, try our BBQ burger made from banana peels.
Portobello burger with hummus
For the hummus:
- 200 g canned chickpeas
- 50 ml chickpea water (from the canned chickpeas)
- 4 tbsp Tahini (sesame paste)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tsp vegetable broth powder
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
For the burger:
- 4 Portobello mushrooms alternatively champignon mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- salt and pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 8 dried tomatoes in oil
- 60 g rocket salad
- 1/4 cucumber
- 4 vegan burger buns
- 4 tbsp pomegranate syrup
- For the hummus, put all the ingredients in a mixer or use a blender to finely puree everything. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- For the burger, chop the garlic finely and mix it with the olive oil together with thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Remove the stems of the Portobello mushrooms and spread 1 teaspoon of the herb mixture evenly in the mushroom cap. Prepare a pan with a little oil and fry the mushrooms in it for 10 minutes at medium heat. Then turn the mushrooms over and put the rest of the herb mixture on the mushroom caps. Fry for another 6-8 minutes.
- Bake the burger buns in the oven at 200°C (400°F) for a maximum of 5 minutes so that they are not so soggy.
- Chop the dried tomatoes finely. Wash the rocket and cucumber and cut the cucumber into slices.
- Spread the burger bun halves with plenty of hummus and top with dried tomatoes, rocket and cucumber slices. Spread the mushrooms on the burgers and sprinkle with pomegranate syrup. Close and serve immediately and enjoy.
If you liked this recipe for Portobello Burger you may also like one of these other American recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.