This juicy American Pulled Jackfruit Burger will convince even the biggest meat lovers – promised! Spicy Jackfruit in a hearty smoky BBQ sauce with juicy homemade coleslaw made from white cabbage, carrots, onions and vegan mayonnaise on a crispy sesame bun. So much authentic taste, nobody can resist!
The Jackfruit is experiencing quite a hype among vegans and foodies right now and quite rightly so. Because the Jackfruit has exactly the same fibrous consistency as Pulled Pork and, through refined seasoning, also the same taste. Vegan Pulled Pork is not only possible, it even tastes amazing. Maybe even better than the original dish.
The jackfruit is a tropical fruit that can grow up to one metre long and weigh up to ten kilograms. It comes from the tropics of Southeast Asia and Brazil. It is well known there and it is even the national fruit of Bangladesh. Harvested green and unripe, it has only a slight taste of its own. The highlight is its fibrous consistency, which is very similar to that of chicken or pork. Therefore, it is ideal as a versatile meat substitute, that can be used for example for vegan pulled pork. When the jackfruit is ripe its flesh turns yellow and tastes like a mixture of pineapple, mango and banana.
Where can I buy Jackfruit?
Jackfruit can be found in cans in Asian shops, in some large supermarkets or online. Make sure you buy “Young Green Jackfruit” in salt water (“Brine”) or water, never in syrup. The ones in syrup are the ripe fruits and they taste sweet and are not suitable as meat substitute. A can costs between two and three euros.
Jackfruit is considered a staple food in Southeast Asia and Brazil because it contains a lot of nutritious starch. The tropical fruits also contain a high proportion of calcium, 27 milligrams per 100 grams, which is particularly important for healthy bones and teeth. The seeds of Jackfruit are full of B- vitamins, magnesium and iron.
Pulled jackfruit burgers are fast and easy to cook
The great thing is that our Pulled Jackfruit is not only healthier than the original Pulled Pork, it is also a lot easier and faster to make. Because real Pulled Pork has to be marinated for hours and then grilled for 12 to 48 hours, depending on the recipe. Our alternative from Jackfruit can be cooked in only 30 Minutes and it tastes fantastic. This makes being vegan so much easier.
You can serve the Pulled Jackfruit Burger with homemade coleslaw and potato wedges or fries as sides. And now have fun cooking and enjoying these delicious burgers!
Pulled Jackfruit Burger
- 1 can jackfruit* (young green jackfruit in brine)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 TL liquid smoke optional
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 150 ml BBQ sauce
- 60 ml vegetable broth*
- salt and pepper
- 2 burger rolls
- 4 tbsp BBQ sauce
- 100 g coleslaw (see recipe below)
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Drain the jackfruit and tear the pieces into shreds with a fork or your fingers. Pour into a bowl and stir in the spices. Cut the onion into cubes and chop the garlic finely.
- Heat some olive oil in a pan and fry the onion for 3 minutes until glassy. Then add the garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add the jackfruit pieces and sauté briefly. Then stir in the BBQ sauce, liquid smoke and vegetable stock and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the vegan coleslaw (Recipe see below).
- Cut the burger rolls in half and briefly bake or toast them to make them crispy on the outside. Brush with BBQ sauce and cover with cabbage salad and salad leaves.
- Place the finished Jackfruit Pulled Pork on the cabbage salad and fold up the burgers. Crispy potato wedges or French fries go well with this.
For the Vegan Garlic Mayonnaise:
- 3 tbsp Aquafaba (chickpea cooking liquid) alternatively 60ml of unsweetened soy milk
- 120 ml neutral oil (sunflower or rapeseed oil)
- ½ clove of garlic
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
For the Coleslaw:
- 400 g cabbage white cabbage or red cabbage
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
For the Vegan Garlic Mayonnaise:
- Place the Aquafaba in a high measuring cup and whisk for approx. 10 seconds with a blender. Let the hand blender run and add the oil very slowly. Move the hand blender back and forth to emulsify the oil and make the mayo thick.
- When the oil has been added completely, add the remaining ingredients and mix everything briefly.
For the Coleslaw:
- Cut cabbage and carrot into very thin strips or plane finely with a vegetable slicer. Peel onion and cut into fine rings. Place the chopped vegetables in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and knead well with your hands. The cabbage salad is relatively moist. If you prefer it drier, add the dressing little by little until the consistency suits you.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
If you liked this recipe for Pulled Jackfruit Burger you may also like one of these other American recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.