What’s better for breakfast than warm fluffy pancakes with fresh fruits? Not much, anyway. In America pancakes are a breakfast staple dish. These vegan pancakes with jam and wild berries are thrown together in no time and only require a few ingredients.
Grated Apple as Binding Agent for Vegan Pancakes
As a binding agend, I use a grated apple. I got the idea from a recipe I found online which listed applesauce as ingredient. But I did not have that at home. However, I had a few old apples that were already wrinkled. So I quickly peeled them and grated them to a fine puree.
To make the pancakes so nice and fluffy, I used a combination of apple vinegar and baking soda. That worked great. The pancakes held together perfectly and were very fluffy.
After I baked them in a pan, I spread them with raspberry jam and stacked them on top of each other. At last I garnished them with fresh wild berries. Simple yet delicious!
With such a great recipe at hand, the decision between breakfast rolls and pancakes is incredibly hard every time.
Of course, these vegan pancakes are not exactly a symbol of healthy whole foods. After all they are made primarily from white flour. But on the weekend you can allow yourself to these fluffy treats.
If you want to stay true to your healthy diet, try to make these vegan pancakes healthier by using spelled flour or whole wheat flour instead of regular wheat flour. You can also replace the sugar with agave syrup or maple syrup.
Maple syrup is actually the classic topping on American pancakes. But the traditional variant is a bit too sweet for me. That’s why I only used little sugar in the pancake batter and spread the pancakes with sweet raspberry jam instead. In addition the freshwild berries give this dish a fruity and sour note. The wild berries harmonize perfectly with the fluffy pancakes.
Possible variations of the vegan pancakes
If you want to vary the vegan pancakes, try to add apple slices or blueberries to the batter. Put the Batter in the pan and add the fruit while the batter is still liquid. Then I sprinkle some sugar or cinnamon over the fruit. Then let the sugar caramelise after turning the pancakes.
If you you had enough pancakes and are looking for other ideas for breakfast, check out our page for breakfast recipes. There you will find, for example, recipes for English baked beans or a Lebanese Musabaha and Foul for breakfast.
American Pancakes with Raspberry Jam and Wild Berries
For the pancakes
- 200 g flour
- 250 ml almond milk or other plantbased milk
- 1 apple alternatively applesauce
- 1 tbsp sugar more to taste
- 1 sachet vanilla sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 EL vegetable oil
As a side dish
- 4 tbsp raspberry jam
- 100 g wild berries frozen or fresh
- Peel the apple and finely grate it.
- Mix all dry ingredients for the batter. Add the grated apple and the wet ingredients to the dry ones. Whisk everything well. For a particularly good result, let the batter rest for a few minutes.
- Heat some vegetable fat in a large pan. When the pan is hot, use a spoon to add small portions of batter into the pan. Bake for 30 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on the heat of the pan.
- When large bubbles appear on the surface, turn the pancakes. Bake the other side until golden brown.
- Spread the pancakes with raspberry jam and layer them on top of each other. Garnish with wild berries.
If you liked this recipe for Pancakes you may also like one of these other breakfast recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.