Do you want to try something completely different for breakfast than the usual bread or oatmeal? Then try these delicious Mexican breakfast burritos. They are spicy, hearty, tasty and full to bursting with flavorful ingredients such as scrambled tofu, black beans, fresh spinach and avocado. With such a breakfast the day can only be good.
These vegan wraps fill you for a long time and are great as a protein-rich breakfast or brunch! For this recipe I only used simple ingredients like tofu, spinach, black beans and avocado.
I’ll show you my favorite variant in the recipe below. The ingredients complement each other perfectly and don’t need any elaborate preparation. Basically, it’s a harmonious four-note sound, consisting of juicy tofu scramble, creamy avocado, hearty black beans and fresh baby spinach. To top it off, I like to use fresh coriander and a dash of vegan cream fraiche or yoghurt to give the burrito even more freshness and creaminess.
Juicy Tofu Scramble
For those of you who don’t know Tofu Scramble: it tastes like scrambled eggs, but is made of Tofu. It is also delicious on its own, easy to prepare and perfect for an extended weekend breakfast. The secret ingredient for the Tofu Scramble is Kala Namak, an Indian salt that gives the vegan scrambled eggs an egglike taste. Kala Namak should not be missing in any vegan spice rack. It is a volcanic rock salt that has a slight sulphurous smell and taste that is reminiscent of hard-boiled eggs. Kala Namak can be bought at in big supermarkets or online. Sometimes you will find it labeled as smoked salt or black salt.
Fill The Burritos How You Like It
The great thing about this breakfast burritos is, that you can fill them with whatever ingretients you like most. If you don’t like an ingredient from the recipe or don’t have it at home, just take something else. You can use kidney beans or chickpeas instead of black beans, or fried potato cubes instead of scrambled tofu. Alternatively, tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, zucchini or corn can also taste delicious in a breakfast burrito.
Breakfast Burritos Can Be Frozen
These delicious breakfast burritos are also the perfect companion when you’re out and about, because they’re perfect to prepare and take with you. The filling stays fresh for a long time due to the wrapping in the wheat tortilla. Another advantage is that these burritos can also be prepared and frozen. This is especially practical when you have little time in the morning. You can then simply reheat them in the oven until they are crispy or heat them up in the microwave for a few minutes.
Mexican Breakfast Burritos
For the Scrambled Tofu:
For the Burritos:
- 4 Tortilla wraps
- 1 can black beans alternatively kidney beans
- 1 avocado
- 2 handful baby spinach
- ½ bunch cilantro optional
- 2 tbsp vegan cream Fraiche alternatively yoghurt
- salt and pepper
For the Tofu Scramble:
- Drain the tofu. Crumble it into small pieces with a fork or your hands. Chop the onion into fine cubes.
- Put the oil in a hot pan, brown the tofu and onion lightly over medium heat for 5 minutes while stirring. Stir in turmeric, pepper, nutmeg and paprika powder.
- Add soy yoghurt, Kala Namak and optionally yeast flakes and stir well. Simmer for a few minutes until the desired consistency is achieved.
For the Burritos:
- Heat tortilla wraps according to instructions (I usually put them in the microwave for 1 minute).
- Drain the black beans. Cut the avocado into thin slices. Wash the spinach leaves and chop coarsely.
- Place the wrap on a plate and optionally brush with a dash of vegan cream fraiche. Place tofu scramble, black beans, avocado and spinach leaves on it. Leave a wide margin on all sides (see picture).
If you liked this recipe for Mexican Breakfast Burrito you may also like one of these other breakfast recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.