When I was still a vegetarian, grill feta was my absolute favourite food in summer. Now I have finally found a way to create this delicious taste without animal suffering. Because my vegan grill feta made of tofu is marinated with fresh herbs and lots of garlic. This is how it convinces even the biggest cheese lovers.
My vegan grill feta is made from fresh natural tofu. It tastes best with the fresh tofu, which you can buy unpacked at the Asian market. The tofu has a finely sour taste that reminds you of yoghurt. It also has the perfect consistency to serve as a substitute for sheep’s cheese.
The tofu is sliced and then marinated in a Mediterranean herb-garlic marinade for one day. It is then placed in a casserole dish with fresh herbs and red onions and grilled either on the grill or in the oven.
Vegan Grill Feta Made of Tofu
- 200 g fresh natural tofu
- 150 ml olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp basil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 1 red onion
- 4 branches of fresh thyme
- 10 leaves of fresh basil
- Mix half of the olive oil with salt, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, white balsamic vinegar and lemon juice in a sealable jar or Tupper can.
- Peel the garlic cloves, cut into thin strips and add. Mix well.
- Cut the tofu into slices and add to the marinade in the glass.
- Fill the glass with olive oil until the tofu is covered and close the glass. If necessary, shake the glass or turn it upside down to mix the spices.
- Allow to stand for 1-2 days in the refrigerator so that the tofu can absorb the taste of the marinade.
- When the tofu is marinated, place the slices in a casserole dish together with the pickled garlic and a little of the herb oil.
- Cut the red onion into thin slices and place in a small casserole dish or in aluminium foil together with the fresh thyme twigs and basil leaves.
- Grill on the grill for 15 minutes or bake in the oven until the tofu is slightly browned.
If you liked this recipe for Vegan Grill Feta you may also like one of these other BBQ recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
More delicious recipes from all over the world can be found in our recipe overview.