When we do a BBQ there is always a huge variety of vegan delicacies. Instead of just putting a piece of meat on the grill like meat eaters usually do, we make homemade vegan grill sticks made of seitan, eggplants and bell peppers filled with couscous, grilled vegetables, vegan grill feta, seitan steaks, vegetable skewers or stuffed mushrooms. Recently we have added another delicacy to our repertoire: grilled bread with garlic and herb butter, homemade of course.
This BBQ-bread is crisp on the outside and fluffy on the inside and it is a great alternative to stick bread. It can be grilled perfectly on any barbeque and tastes great with dips, salads and all the other treats from the grill.
The dough for our grilled bread is a fluffy yeast dough. It is brushed with olive oil before it is grilled so that it becomes crispy on the outside. If the dumplings shall be fluffy on the inside, the dough should be about 2 cm thick. If you like it crispier, you can of course roll out the dough thinner. Take care not to leave the dough too long on the grill. It should only be slightly browned, because if it grills too long it will be dust-dry.
Add Garlic, Herbs or Dried Tomatoes
If you like a little variety, you can also season the dough with fresh herbs. Or you can press thin garlic or dried tomato pieces into the dough before grilling it.
The homemadegarlic and herb butter is made from vegan butter (I usually use Alsan organic butter*) or high-quality margarine. The list of ingredients for this recipe includes spicy garlic and dried Italian herbs as well as lots of fresh herbs such as basil and thyme. This herb butter also goes well with juicy seitan steaks.
What do you put on your barbeque? Tell me in the comments.
Grilled Bread with Garlic and Herb Butter
For the Bread:
- 1 cube fresh yeast
- 500 g flour
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tbsp butter (room temperature)
- extra flour for hands and work surface
- 2 tbsp olive oil for coating
For the Herb butter:
- 100 g vegan butter e.g. Alsan Organic
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- 1 handful fresh basil
- ½ handful fresh thyme
- ½ handful fresh chives
- ½ handful fresh parsley
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Crumble the yeast into a bowl and add 300ml lukewarm water. Dissolve the yeast while stirring. Knead the water with the flour, sugar, salt and butter into a smooth dough. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes.
- In the meantime, finely chop the garlic and herbs for the herb butter. Mix all ingredients for the herb butter. Season with salt and pepper. Store in the refrigerator until ready for use.
- Form small balls of equal size from the risen yeast dough and shape them into small and round flat cakes.
- Brush the dough with olive oil and then place it on the barbeque with the oiled side facing down.
- Grill the bread for about 3 minutes, then brush the top with oil and turn over. Grill for another 3 minutes.
If you liked this recipe for grilled bread with homemade herb and garlic butter you may also like one of these other BBQ recipes:
If you liked this recipe, you can use this picture to create a pin for Pinterest. Just select the picture and click on the Pinterest button in the upper left corner. This way you can save the recipe for later use.
You will find more delicious recipes from all over the world in our recipe section.