Good and tasty vegan cheeses are rare. I have tried a lot of them. There are vegan cheese alternatives made of almonds, nuts or soy. However, I find very few of them really tasty and they are usually quite expensive. And I haven’t found a good alternative to feta yet. So I searched the internet for recipes and ended up with this recipe from Vegan Taste Week . I was very happy with the result of this plant-based cheese and now I’d like to share the recipe with you. This vegan feta made of tofu doesn’t need many ingredients and it’s really easy to prepare.
Simply cut the tofu into cubes, mix a marinade of herbs, garlic and oil, and let the tofu soak for several hours. It tastes perfect after three days, when the herbs, acid and salt are absorbed into the tofu. The secret of the good taste lies partly in the marinade and partly in the high-quality tofu.
Fresh natural tofu from the Asian market
Our vegan tofu feta is not made of fresh natural tofu. I love the taste of the fresh tofu that you can buy unpacked at the Asian market. If you’ve never eaten fresh tofu from the Asian market before, you must try it. Because it already has a fine sour taste, reminiscent of yoghurt. This fresh tofu tastes so fantastic that I even eat it pure. It also has the perfect soft and creamy consistency to replace feta.
If you don’t have an Asian market nearby, you can also use packaged tofu. But make sure that the tofu is of good quality and not too firm. Or you can try to make your own tofu.
You can use the vegan feta made of tofu in your salad, or just snack it. You can also use it for a BBQ, check out my recipe for vegan grill feta. This feta also tastes great in a typical Greek farmer’s salad, a watermelon salad or in a vegan kebab.
Vegan Feta made of Tofu
- 200 g tofu*
- 150 ml olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 handful fresh basil alternatively use dried basil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- Dab the tofu dry with a paper towel or a clean kitchen towel and gently squeeze out any excess liquid. This will allow the marinade to be absorbed better. Then cut the tofu into 1-2 cm large cubes.
- Finely chop the basil. Peel the garlic cloves and cut them into fine slices. Mix the olive oil with salt, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, garlic and lemon juice.
- Place the tofu in a large preserving jar. Pour the marinade over the tofu. If necessary, add olive oil until the tofu is completely covered.
- Close the glass and shake gently or turn it upside down so that the spices mix with the tofu. Allow to stand at least for 1-2 days in the refrigerator so that the tofu can properly absorb the taste of the marinade.
More delicious recipes from all over the world can be found in our recipe overview.